Variation on the Hadley Lace Hat

Variation on the Hadley Lace HatMy fourth crochet hat attempt was based on the Hadley Lace Hat from Oh Frog It! I bumped in to some sizing issues along the way so it turned out differently to the pattern.

Even though I started with a 5.5mm (US: I size) hook, I think that my yarn was thinner than the worsted weight suggested by the pattern. When I measured after row 2 my piece was only 2″ wide, not 3″ like it was meant to be. I kept going and decided to add an extra increase row after row 5 (crocheted as: *2dc in next st, dc in next 4 st* and joining as normal).

As I continued with the pattern, I saw that the hat was looking very large. I had intended to make a beanie but it was not fitting close to the skull. In hindsight, I probably didn’t need that extra row because the change in pattern would have provided enough stretch to fit on my head, but I kept going.

For the pattern’s row 15 (technically my row 16 because of the extra row I added), I switched to a 4.5 hook hoping the rim would pull in a little, but it didn’t make much difference so I had to keep going.

Staying with the 4.5mm hook, I did two rows of decreases: *sc in next 4 st, sc2tog*, then a final row of *sc in each st*, joining as normal. This added a little strength to the rim and shrunk it to a comfortable fit around the head so that it won’t fall off.

The finished hat used approximately 1.5 balls of Moda Vera Pure Wool 8 ply (100% wool 50g/80m).

It’s a cute hat, it can be worn in a few different positions on the head and with either side facing out.

Variation on the Hadley Lace Hat

Variation on the Hadley Lace Hat