Hot on the heels of my first pattern release, I’ve now released my Vanilla Flip Mitts pattern on Ravelry.
These fingerless mittens are knit with fingering weight yarn and include folding cuffs, fingers and thumbs so you can fold them up or down depending on the weather or if you need access to your fingers.
The pattern includes three unisex adult sizes as well as visual tutorials for the Old Norwegian cast on, Backwards loop cast on, and picking up stitches for the thumb.
You can also customise the length of the various sections if you want shorter or longer cuffs making this a very flexible pattern that you can use over and over again to create perfect mitts for you and those you love to knit for.
I thought I’d be making socks for the relatives I’m seeing in a few months but… I’ve become fascinated by shawls.
I wanted a variegated or striped yarn in red colours but I couldn’t find anything locally so I fell back on the trusty Morris and Sons Empire yarn (100% Australian superfine merino). I chose the 2ply because I hadn’t tried it before but I wasn’t sure if it would work because it’s incredibly thin with 700m in a 50 gram ball. Continue reading →
This project tackled a few items on my to do list:
Continue reading →
Schoppel Wolle yarns are like magic yarn to me – I see them in a shop and I stare for ages and beautiful images appear in my mind of the things I can create. The German-made yarn is on the expensive side here in Australia but I love the striped beanie I made last year and I decided to let myself free on a few projects with their magical yarns.
First I took on a crochet diagonal stripe scarf with Crazy Zauberball (4 ply, 75% wool 25% nylon) in the Herbstsonne colourway. It’s a mighty 183cm (6 foot) long with blue, orange and red stripes. I used a 3mm crochet hook and 1.6 balls of yarn.
Continue reading →
Following my stranded knitting experiment, I settled on a quick project that would test out my skills. A headwarmer!
Oh dear, it didn’t go as I’d hoped.
I made up a basic repeatable pattern and knit it up with 10 ply (aran) yarn. As a flat piece I think this would have worked out well after blocking. As a piece of headgear it unfortunately falls short in the most important factor – horizontal stretch. Continue reading →